I’m a 30 year-old white woman from Connecticut. I’ve always admired the likes of Angelina Jolie for taking the bold step to love a child not biologically hers and one who looks very different from her.
I’ve know I wanted to become an adoptive mother since I was a teenager and I feel I’m in the right space in my life to do it now. Do you know how I can go about adopting from Africa? I would love to give an orphaned child a loving home.Hi there,
I commend your selfless tenacity. We need more people like you in our society. There are an estimated 153,000,000 orphans worldwide. Some of these orphans have lost one parent, some both, and some are “virtual” orphans that have been turned out onto the streets by their families, but all are vulnerable and in need of help.
Without assistance these orphans continue in the cycle of poverty, HIV/AIDS, trafficking, prostitution and slavery that haunts developing countries. World Orphans is one of the many agencies whose sole mission is to help break the cycle, put a child back in a family, and put him or her on the road to success.
Transracial adoptive parents are among those who are helping to reduce that number by adopting one orphan at a time. Unfortunately, we don’t have experience with adoption let alone transracial adoption, but we looked up a few agencies that should be of help to you. Please also, read through our article on Hollywood transracial adoptive parents. It depicts a few stories on the adoption process from Hollywood celebrities.
Contact the following agencies to find out more about transracial adoption:
- Children of All Nations – In addition, Children of All Nations is an advocate for children exposed to HIV by providing education, resources and advocacy for children effected by HIV/AIDS.
- Spence-Chapin – SPENCE-CHAPIN IS AN ACCREDITED NONPROFIT ORGANIZATION that has been offering quality adoption services for more than 100 years. Their mission is to find adoptive homes for children in need here and in countries around the world.
P.S. XXXXX used the Contact Us form to ask her question. You can too should you need multiracial parenting advice.
- Hollywood Moms: The Adoption Edition (kolorblindmag.com)
- Advocate against Russian adoption ban (toledoblade.com)
- Friends in Adoption to Hold Adoption Workshop in Saratoga Springs, NY This Coming Friday; Registration Open to All Families (pr.com)
- Family Hopes to Adopt Chinese Teenager Before It’s Too Late (wreg.com)
- Faith Child – Help! Here is one, an orphan (ptl2010.com)