When she was born I convinced my son to have a DNA test to find out if she was really his since she didn’t look anything like him. I was shocked to find out she is but I still have a slight issue with her looks. I can’t take her anywhere without people staring at us. One time someone asked if I was her nanny and I snapped back and said: ‘She’s my granddaughter’.
Why do some mixed kids look so white?
Hi there grandma!
I’m glad you are honest with your feelings and concerns. Skin pigmentation in humans evolves to primarily regulate the amount of ultraviolet radiation penetrating the skin, controlling its biochemical effects. But not to bore you with any scientific/biological explanation, I’ll try to explain it the best way possible.
Our skin colors are determined by the amount of Melanin (or the lack thereof) in our bodies. When two people of different races come together to reproduce (have a baby), that child can inherit more or less of one parent’s genetic marker, like in the case of your granddaughter (who has predominantly inherited her mother’s genetic marker).
However, I also want to remind you that the majority of African-Americans have Caucasian or Native American ancestry in their lineage, and since certain genetic traits skip a generation or two, it’s possible that she inherited some of your family’s Caucasian genetic marker too. Which brings me to the question: do you have any Caucasian ancestors?
There’s no need to be ashamed of your granddaughter or be upset about her skintone. You’ll only make it difficult for her growing up. Embrace the change in your family and be proud. Be happy you have a healthy granddaughter! It could always be worse!!!
Read our article on people from a Multi-generational Multi-racially Mixed (MGM-Mixed) lineage. It will open your eyes to some facts you probably never considered before.
Good luck with everything!
INTERESTING FACT: According to classical scholar Frank Snowden, skin color did not determine social status in ancient Egypt, Greece or Rome. Relations between the major power and the subordinate state was viewed as more significant in a person’s status than was their skin color.
P.S. XXXX used the Contact Us form to ask her question. You can too should you need multiracial parenting advice.
- Biracial baby looks white? (babycenter.com)
- Is She Your Stepdaughter? Is She Adopted? (xmelissalittle.wordpress.com)
- “Who is Black in America?” Soledad O’Brien Tackles Racial Identity on CNN (clutchmagonline.com)
- 30 Hottest Multiracial Mommas 2012 (kolorblindmag.com)
- Hollywood Moms: The Adoption Edition (kolorblindmag.com)
- Multiracial Entertainers: The Female Edition 1 (kolorblindmag.com)
- Multiracial Entertainers: The Male Edition 1 (kolorblindmag.com)
- The Top 5 Rules To Interracial Dating (kolorblindmag.com)
- Interracial Relationship Advice: I’m Interested In An Interracial Relationship… (kolorblindmag.com)
- The Q Awards L0ndon, UK (kolorblindmag.com)
- Multiracial Parenting Advice: My 14 Year-Old Daughter Has A Boyfriend. I’m Not Comfortable With It! (kolorblindmag.com)