Sir Caine, actor/author and winner of a BAFTA, Golden Globe and Academy Award, is notably known for his roles in ‘Educating Rita‘, ‘Hannah and Her Sisters‘, the Dark Knight trilogy and a host of other chart-topping box office movies.
His wife Shakira Caine nee Baksh is a former model and actress.
Sir Michael Caine, who in 2000, Caine was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in recognition of his contribution to cinema is an icon in our present generation. He is one of only two actors nominated for an Academy Award for acting in every decade from the 1960s to 2000s (the other one being Jack Nicholson).
Sir Michael fell for Shakira, a former Miss Guyana, after spotting her in a Maxwell House ad. Intrigued, he got her number from a friend who worked in advertising. After several calls, she agreed to meet him.
By then, he was downing three bottles of vodka a day. Under Shakira’s influence, he straightened himself out, set about perfecting his craft and discovered the joys of gardening.
The couple’s union is blessed with 39 year-old daughter, Natasha Haleema; although Sir Caine has a daughter from his previous marriage.
Since finding fame as a cocky womanizer in Alfie, Sir Michael Caine has worked with some of the most beautiful women in Hollywood. But he has only ever had eyes for one leading lady – his wife Shakira.
For 35 years their marriage has been rock solid and they have been inseparable. Michael is justifiably proud that he has never strayed – despite temptation being constantly thrown in his path.
“I was always doing love scenes with very beautiful women,” says Sir Michael, 75. “You can go on the set and there’ll be one of the most beautiful women in the world and the director will say, ‘Take your clothes off and get into bed.’
“That could be a great temptation so I decided that I would never marry a woman who wasn’t as beautiful as the women I was working with. And I married a woman who, in actual fact, is more beautiful than most women I have worked with, so all the temptation was at home, not at work.”
With a throaty cackle, he adds: “So I rush home to get some temptation. People ask me, ‘Where do you go for your holidays?’ I say, ‘I go home.’”
Throughout their marriage they’ve rarely been apart. Shakira, 60, even sacrificed her jewelry design business to travel with Michael on film shoots.
“If you go away on location for three months and your wife stays at home, you’ve made a whole new load of friends and she’s made a whole new load of friends and you get home and you’re kind of strangers,” he explains.
“My wife comes with me on all the movies, but she is not an appendage to a film star or anything like that. She is a completely intertwined partner. She is the other half of me. Also, we’re still very much in love with each other. We always have been, we always will be.”
Relationship advice from the Caine’:
- To all the gentlemen reading this, marry a woman you’ll find attractive 20 years from now.
- Take Sir Michael’s advice and only marry a woman who compliments.
- Never stay apart for too long as it might kill your romance.
- To the women out there, take a cue from the gorgeous Mrs. Caine and do all you can to make sure your career doesn’t overshadow your marriage.
The Caines’ are proof that after 39 years, there is no such thing as love fizzling. Their love for one another is just as passionate as it was when they first met.
This is another couple who truly live by the words “till death do us part”…
We wish you many more wonderful years together. You’re an inspiration to all KolorBlind men and women out there. Keep the flame burning!
- KolorBlind Couple of the Month (June ’12): Keesha & Brad Sharp (kolorblindmag.com)
- KolorBlind Couple of the Month (July ’12): Iman and David Bowie (kolorblindmag.com)
- KolorBlind Couple of the Month (August ’12): Laura Ling and Iain Clayton (kolorblindmag.com)
- KolorBlind Couple of the Month (September ’12): Shari Belafonte and Sam Behrens (kolorblindmag.com)
- KolorBlind Couple of the Month (October ’12): Connie Chung & Maury Povich (kolorblindmag.com)
- KolorBlind Couple of the Month (November ’12): Sanjay Gupta and Rebecca Olson (kolorblindmag.com)
- Longest Interracial/Interethnic Marriages (kolorblindmag.com)
- Celebrity Photos: Interracial/Interethnic Couples (kolorblindmag.com)
- The Top 5 Rules To Interracial Dating (kolorblindmag.com)
- Multiracial Celebrities When They Were Babies… (kolorblindmag.com)
- Multicultural Wedding Spotlight: India meets Jamaica (kolorblindmag.com)
- Multicultural Wedding Spotlight: India Meets Canada – The Sikh Union (kolorblindmag.com)
- 10 Most Popular Interracial Couples of 2012 (kolorblindmag.com)
- 2012 In Review: Interracial/Interethnic Weddings (kolorblindmag.com)