I’m at the verge of getting a divorce. My husband who is from Ghana and I have been married for 2 years and he’s wonderful except that he doesn’t do any household chores. He never helps around the house, won’t cook, clean, etc.
I have tried talking to him and complaining about it but he says that’s not a man’s job. In 2012, it’s a man’s job to do whatever is necessary for his family. I understand our cultures are different as I’m an American (white woman) but I can’t continue like this.
What advice can you offer me?
I’m sorry to hear your husband is not helping you around the house. The African culture, trains men to view themselves superior to women, thereby creating the illusion that it’s a woman’s job to take care of the kids, keep the house, cook and clean. Unfortunately in the Western society that is an unacceptable mindset. I think your husband is still struggling with adapting to his new culture.
Here are one option for you to avoid divorce, especially since everything else is going on well, contact a cleaning service to come in a few time a week and make sure your husband pays. Let him know this is the only option available to avoid divorce and if he truly values his marriage and loves you, he’ll won’t object.
It will probably set him back $600 a month but it will be well worth it. Unfortunately, that still leaves you to do the cooking.
- Interracial Relationship Advice: Should I Ask Him Out? (kolorblindmag.com)
- The Top 5 Rules To Interracial Dating (kolorblindmag.com)
- Interracial Relationship Advice: I think my boyfriend’s parents hate me (kolorblindmag.com)
- Interracial Relationship Advice: What do you suggest for a 1st date? (kolorblindmag.com)
- Interracial Relationship Advice: I’m Interested In An Interracial Relationship… (kolorblindmag.com)
- African-American Women On Interracial Dating: Is It Love? (kolorblindmag.com)
- Interracial Relationship Advice: He Called Me ‘White Trailer Trash’, Should I Take Him Back? (kolorblindmag.com)
- Interracial Relationship Advice: Is It Wrong To Date My Girlfriend’s Ex? (kolorblindmag.com)
- What I Learned From My Interracial Relationships: Raise Your Standards (madamenoire.com)
- Interracial Relationship Advice: I Caught My Wife With My Best Friend! (kolorblindmag.com)
- FIRM: Most marriages break down over household chores… (telegraph.co.uk)