The name Wolfgang Puck has become synonymous with food and fine dining. With over 20 restaurants to his name, countless recipe books, it’s no wonder food and Puck go together. Wolfgang Puck’s latest restaurant, WP24, is perched on the 24th floor of the sleek black tower that houses the Ritz-Carlton Los Angeles.
Getting there isn’t intuitive. Outside the elevator, a sandwich board announces the presence of the restaurant down a nondescript hallway that opens onto a vast bar and lounge. Where’s the restaurant? Beyond the lounge, a private wine room and a second bar.
What is WP24?
Twenty four floors above the Los Angeles skyline sits WP24 by Wolfgang Puck at The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles at L.A. The restaurant features Wolfgang’s award-winning modern Chinese cuisine and reflects Puck’s time spent in the Far East and passion for Asian ingredients and techniques.
Surrounded by spectacular panoramic views of the city, guests can enjoy the dynamic menu in the main dining room or have a more casual experience in the expansive lounge, where diners can choose between Asian small plates or sushi and nigri.
Wine aficionados can appreciate an extensive list of more than 400 labels that complement the flavors of the menu. In addition, the beverage menu offers a selection of Asian beers and sakes by the bottle and glass.
Who runs WP24?
The name Wolfgang Puck is synonymous with the best of restaurant hospitality and the ultimate in all aspects of the culinary arts. The famous chef has built an empire that encompasses three separate Wolfgang Puck entities: Wolfgang Puck Fine Dining Group, Wolfgang Puck Catering, and Wolfgang Puck Worldwide, Inc.
Puck began cooking at his mother’s side as a child. She was a chef in the Austrian town where he was born, and with her encouragement, Wolfgang began his formal training at fourteen years of age.As a young chef he worked in some of France’s greatest restaurants, including Maxim’s in Paris, the Hotel de Paris in Monaco, and the Michelin 3-starred L’Oustau de Baumanière in Provence.
At the age of 24, Wolfgang took the advice of a friend and left Europe for the United States. His first job was at the restaurant La Tour in Indianapolis, where he worked from 1973 to 1975.
Wolfgang came to Los Angeles in 1975 and very quickly garnered the attention of the Hollywood elite as chef and eventually part owner of Ma Maison in West Hollywood. His dynamic personality and culinary brilliance that bridged tradition and invention made Ma Maison a magnet for the rich and famous, with Wolfgang as the star attraction. He had an innate understanding of the potential for California cuisine, and was pivotal in its rise to national attention during the late 1970s.
Today, the Austrian celebrity chef is known not only as a chef but also as a restaurateur, businessman and occasional actor.
- Esquire Magazine – One of the Best New Restaurants of 2010!
- Food & Wine Magazine – One of the Best New Restaurants in America!
- Los Angeles Times – Three Stars!
This is one of the many restaurants owned by celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck who is also owner of the following:
- Hiroshima, Puck’s first restaurant opened on the Sunset Boulevard serving Asian cuisine.
- Chinois on Main, Santa Monica, California (1944), Asian fusion.
- Postrio, San Francisco (1989), Mediterranean and Asian fusion.
- Spago, Beverly Hills (1997), known for serving California cuisine. Spago Beverly Hills, Spago Las Vegas, Spago Maui, and Spago Beaver Creek.
- Postrio, Las Vegas.
- Trattoria del Lupo, Las Vegas.
- CUT in London, Beverly Hills, Las Vegas and Singapore’s Marina Bay Sands resort.
- Five-Sixty is located in Dallas, Texas and features Asian-inspired New American cuisine.
- The Source, Washington, DC, modern interpretation of Asian cuisine located at the Newseum.
- Wolfgang Puck B&G (2009) in Los Angeles.
- Wolfgang Puck in Walt Disney World. It is located in Downtown Disney.
- Museum of Science in Boston.
- Wolfgang Puck American Grille, a signature restaurant located in the Borgata Hotel & Casino in Atlantic City.
- Springs Preserve Café, Las Vegas.
- WP24 by Wolfgang Puck located in The Ritz-Carlton in downtown Los Angeles, modern Chinese cuisine.
- Wolfgang Puck Pizzeria in Cucina, Las Vegas.
- Wolfgang Puck Bistro in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Jai by Wolfgang Puck in La Jolla, CA.
- Wolfgang Puck Bistro located in the JC Penney Flagship store in the Manhattan Mall in New York City (opening in Summer 2012).
- Wolfgang Puck Express located in JC Penney in Pittsburgh at Monroeville Mall (scheduled for opening in October 2012).
- Wolfgang Puck Express located in Denver International Airport in Denver, CO
What type of food can I expect?
The following descriptions/food reviews were conducted by an enthusiastic foodie who visited the restaurant to tour its menu.
Szechuan Pickled Cucumbers
The meal began with the refreshing crunch of these Cucumbers. WP24 by Wolfgang Puck–so named because it is located on the 24th floor of the Ritz-Carlton at LA Live–is cradled within a stunning, panoramic view of downtown Los Angeles.
Enter thru the beautiful bar area, which is at once spacious and intimate, with beautiful wood lattice sections that reminded me of bird’s nests. At the end of this lies the luxurious dining room and the promise of an unforgettable meal – Food Reviewer
Sesame Crusted Prawn Toast
The rich, intense flavor of the chunky Prawns sandwiched between the crispy Toast was an excellent preview of the delicious treats to come – Food Reviewer
Curry Beef Balls
Shrimp, Lobster and Scallops all huddled together in this delicate Pastry, waiting to explode in our mouths. The taste of all the food here was matched by impeccable and creative presentations. I love the way these Puffs were sealed to create undulating curves – Food Reviewer
Steamed Baby Bao Buns
W/ Slow-Braised “Red Cooked” Pork Belly, Chinese Honey-Garlic Glaze. These little gems melted like buttah. Cute and delicious! – Food Reviewer
W/ Shrimp and Main Lobster, 10 Spice Honey Sauce. To say they were the best Spring Rolls I ever had would be an understatement. These were among the best of anything I’ve ever eaten.
No fillers: this was practically a solid chunk of delicious seafood within a beautiful, crispy wrapper. I love how they sliced away the bottom to showcase, when lifted, the Seafood held within. As they say, you eat first with your eyes – Food Reviewer
Chili “Dan Dan” Dumplings
Organic Chicken, Chili Garlic Sauce, Crushed Peanuts, Green Onions. This was delicious, but of all the dishes we had, probably the least unique or surprising – Food Reviewer
Spicy Korean Style Beef Tartar
Asian Pear, Black Sesame, Cucumber, Kim Chi, Shisho Leaf. As deanjchou said, this was the most complex of all the dishes. Great depth of flavor and character that changed subtly with every chew. Unmistakable Korean flavors were elevated from the familiar to the sublime – Food Reviewer
Pork Belly, Black Vinegar, Chili Oil, Ginger, Cilantro Leaves. The other Dumplings we had could not come out from behind the shadow of these delicious “Tiny Dumplings”. I loved how a Cilantro Leaf accompanied each Dumpling; such care was taken to provide the perfect balance of flavor – Food Reviewer
Fresh Chilies, Thail Basil Leaves, Slow Cooked Oxtail. Nice chunks of tender Oxtail were the highlight of this side dish – Food Reviewer
“Angry” Two-Pound Live Maine Lobster
Spicy Szechuan Chilies, Fried Garlic, Scallions, Black Bean Dust. Phenomenal, succulent Lobster presented still in the shell, then shelled before plating. All the flavor, none of the work – Food Reviewer
Singapore Style Chili Prawns
w/ Fresh Crab, Fried Garlic, Chili, Scallions, Shallots and Pickled Ginger. Huge, shelled Prawns swimming in a delicious, spicy Sauce. The only fault of this dish was that we wished there was more of the delicious Bread – Food Reviewer
Watermelon Shaved Ice
W/Strawberries, Toybox Melons, Strawberry Sorbet, Condensed Milk, Rice Crisps. The Shave Ice was delicate and light. All the elements came together so pleasantly. Especially delightful were the Rice Crisps that added a hint of savory to this sweet dish – Food Reviewer
Royal Cherries, Kirsch, Tahitian Vanilla Ice Cream, Dark Chocolate Complexite Mousse. The menu description could not prepare us for this stunning presentation. Even better? The variety of flavors with each bite – Food Reviewer
Dark Chocolate Panna Cotta
Guanaja, Frozen Coconut Foam, Cocoa Nib, Pain de Gene. Another beautiful Dessert with a great depth of textures and flavors. The crunchy Cocoa Nib was an excellent contrast to the smooth Panna Cotta – Food Reviewer
How can I contact them/make reservations?
The restaurant can be contact directly via its website WP24 or you can make reservations using Open Table. This is a restaurant perfect for that special celebration and/or wedding reception. For those who ask where to take your dates, this L.A. restaurant is the perfect spot.
If you are not from the Los Angeles area, make sure you visit the next time you’re in town.
- Celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck stands the test of time (kansascity.com)
- TV Tidbits: A Major Death Coming to ‘Sons of Anarchy’, Wolfgang Puck Joins ‘Top Chef’ (hollywood.com)
- Wolfgang Puck makes return to Detroit with 2 new restaurants (clickondetroit.com)
- Wolfgang Puck to launch 2 new eateries (wxyz.com)
- GENE SIMMONS To Collaborate With Master Chef Wolfgang Puck At Rocktoberfest (bravewords.com)
- Best hotel restaurants (itineraries.nbcnews.com)
- Wolfgang Puck: He stirs the world (variety.com)
- Best Chefs On Google+ (techwench.com)