Veggie Sushi by 9 year old Ariana
Ariana’s mom, Tania, says: “Sushi for Kids is a recipe that I have been trying with my kids, and they love it. It’s easy to make, healthy, and fun to prepare with the kids,” she says. “They usually prepare it and serve a papaya shake on the side.” —Ariana Lugo, age 9, Puerto Rico
Ingredients: (makes 1 serving)
2 slices oven-roasted ham
4 ounces low-fat cream cheese
1 cup cooked white rice
1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
1 small tomato
- On a plate, evenly spread the cream cheese on the ham slices.
- Divide the rice between the slices and press it into the cream cheese.
- Place the avocados and tomatoes in the center of each slice of ham.
- Roll the ham tightly around the filling, and cut each roll into 4 pieces.
This is a great way to encourage children to get involved in the cooking process and also a way to encourage healthy eating. I’m definately inspired by this 9 year old. I hope you are too.
Baked Zucchini Fries by 11 year old Sydney
Sydney created these Baked Zucchini Fries to accompany her Homerun Meatloaf Burger. “I thought I could show kids how delicious vegetables could be when you think of fun and creative ways to add them to your meal,” she says. She likes to serve this with fresh strawberry lemonade. —Sydney Brown, age 11, North Carolina
1 large egg white
1/3 cup milk
½ cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
2 large green or yellow zucchini, peeled, trimmed, and cut into (2-inch-long, ¼-inch-thick) strips
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Combine the egg white and milk in a small bowl, and combine the Parmesan, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper in another small bowl.
- Dip the zucchini slices first in the milk mixture and then in the cheese mixture. Shake off any excess, then move to a baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 26 ways to use zucchini (rapidcityjournal.com)
- One Part Sushi, One Part Spring Roll, One Great Lunch (johannaelsemore.com)
- Zucchini Fries (sweetheatchefs.com)
- Cookbook for kids is a recipe for some mother-daughter tension (theglobeandmail.com)
- Recipes That ‘Sneak’ Veggies to Kids (housewifesutopia.com)
- Healthy eating is easy and fun for everyone! (ridelightinthesaddle.wordpress.com)
- Food and Family/Pasta and Kids (justrestingup.wordpress.com)
Via Let’s Move!