I need your advice desperately. I’ve been dating my white boyfriend for about 8 months now and we both really love each other. He’s the sweetest man I know. We gotten to the point in our relationship where we’re considering marriage. Fast forward to two weeks when I was invited to dinner by his parents. That was my very first time meeting them and I got the feeling they don’t like me very much.
They turned dinner into an interview instead and we never got to really know each other. What made it worse was the looks they kept giving me. At the end of dinner I was worn out and ready to leave. My boyfriend didn’t even get a chance to chime in. Besides his sister who’s really cool, it was my first time around any of his family. I pictured things differently.
I’m really upset at the way they treated me. I don’t know what to do. I don’t think they’ll consent to us getting married. My boyfriend and I really love each other though. What can I do to make them like me?
I’m sorry dinner didn’t turn out like you expected. Sometimes these things happen. Some parents are extremely over-protective of their children, but that being said…your boyfriend is at fault here. He should have prepped them ahead of time. Some of the things they were asking you could have gotten answered by him. I suggest your boyfriend have a long discussion with his parents. In his discussion he needs to let them know you’re the one for him, in addition, he needs to let them know that he’s considering marriage. The rest will sort itself out from there. There’s nothing you can do right now until that discussion has taken place.
Be strong and stay positive. Some in-laws are nicer than others. I guess you caught them off-guard and they weren’t prepared.
Good luck and let me know how things turn out!
P.S. XXXX XXXXX used the Contact Us form and asked that her name remain anonymous. You can too if you need advice.
- Interracial Relationship Advice: Do I have to ask for her parents permission? (kolorblindmag.com)
- Interracial Relationship Advice: Can you give me ideas for an African Interracial wedding? (kolorblindmag.com)
- Interracial Relationship Advice: My girlfriend’s parents keep referring to ‘black people’ as ‘you guys’… (kolorblindmag.com)
- Interracial Relationship Advice: What do you suggest for a 1st date? (kolorblindmag.com)
- Top Interracial Websites (kolorblindmag.com)
- How Do I Tell My Parents I’m In An Interracial Relationship? (howaboutwe.com)
- Is Tweeting about your relationship a good idea? (wakeuptired.wordpress.com)
- Ask Jagger: What’s the Difference Between Dating and Becoming Someone’s Boyfriend? (kevinhunter.wordpress.com)