The other day I was thinking about a photograph I saw of Kid Rock and his son Robert, Jr. and realized I wasn’t following the man on Twitter. The only thing I knew about Kid Rock was that he was once married to Pamela Anderson – the Baywatch beauty.
After researching a little online about Kid Rock I found a few articles about him and then I stumbled upon this interview he did back in ’08. The article shows a different side of Kid Rock. Here are a few excerpts:
- “The home I grew up in… was a beautiful, very middle-class American colonial house. It was set over six acres of land and there was an apple orchard out the back. My dad got me selling the apples to our neighbours at an early age.”
- “When I was a child I wanted to be… a performer, ever since I can remember. My spirit has always been in rock’n’roll; and, yes, it is everything I thought it would be.”
- “My greatest inspiration… My son, in every way. He inspires me to get up in the morning, and in some regards he has made me more careful. Children can balance you out sometimes, which is something I was seriously in need of.”
I was extremely surprised at his answers. Read more of his interview here. If anything I had pictured him to be a druggie rock star with slurred speech and nothing important to say. I was very wrong of my perception of him. I guess the saying: “Don’t judge a book by its cover” is applicable in this case. I’m not sure why I had this perception but I’m glad I looked into this man’s life a little more.
Kid Rock the man who grew up in a middle class home and lived on 6 acres orchard doesn’t quite fit the picture of a rock star does it? But this was his upbringing. He joined a rap group at the age of 15 and has experienced the turbulence of being a teenager by getting in trouble a few times. Yes, he’s had a few run in with the law as an adult but until your life is 100% clean…dont’ judge.
- Musically, he is a 5x Grammy nominee
- 1x Country Music Academy nominee
- 4x nominee American Music Award nominee and 2x winner
- 3x Billboard Music Award winner and much more.
What has endeared me to this man is his son Robert, Jr. Kid Rock is a single father and has raised his biracial son all his life. That is something you don’t hear a lot of these days. You hear a lot of single moms, but you don’t hear about a lot of single dads. For this reason, he deserves a KolorBlind Spotlight.
I commend you for being a great dad. Being a parent requires a lot of work and dedication. Can I say that son of yours is going to be a heart-breaker if he isn’t already. Kudos to you for raising such a fine young man.
I hope hearing Kid Rock talk about his son being his biggest inspiration inspires a lot more dads to get involved in their children’s lives. I would really love to interview him and his son to hear their experiences and perspective about raising a biracial in today’s America. I’m sure Robert Jr. has a few stories to share as well.
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading today’s KolorBlind Spotlight: Kid Rock – Rockstar Dad!
- KolorBlind Spotlight: Robert De Niro … acting, producing & directing his KolorBlind life! (kolorblindmag.com)
- Kid Rock rallies for Ryan (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Kid Rock To Create New Detroit Lions Football Anthem (detroit.sbnation.com)
- He Is “American Badass” (jams262.wordpress.com)